Walter Sanford – US Air Force

Walter Sanford – US Air Force

1955-

image
Airman’s Club, London

Walter Sanford went to college at Paul Smith’s in New York where he served in a two-week Army reserve camp in 1954. “The training was rigorous,” Walter recalled. “Wake up call was at 5:00 AM.”

After leaving college, Sanford enlisted in the Air Force on Aug. 18, 1955 in New Haven. At the time, Sanford was working but was not content with his job. He figured instead of waiting to be drafted into the war on fate’s watch, he would enlist himself. By train, Sanford traveled to the Sampson Air Force Base in New York for basic training for three months. After taking a placement exam, Sanford got into the Air Force Intelligence Division.

After going to the Sheppard Air Force base in Texas in 1956, Sanford was promoted to a 2nd Class Cpl. Airman. For three months, he was to send out material to a fighter base in London with quadrants of all the targets. While being a part time tourist of England, Sanford married the love of his life, Maria. “England began to feel like home to me,” said Sanford.

Continuing his service, Sanford went to J. Arthur Rank Film Studio in Denham, Buckinghamshire. During this time, a six-day war broke out between Israel and Egypt, and Sanford was planning to get shipped out to Africa. By the time he was to be shipped out, the war had ended.

During Sanford’s three-year tour in England, his first baby was due when he was to be shipped out of England, so he extended his enlistment four months. Luckily, the world was at peace when Sanford served his time, except for the Cold War against Russia, which was not a threat. Enlisting in the Air Force was the start of Walter Sanford’s journey of life.

image-2
Walter Sanford in 2014

Walter Sanford has two daughters, one of whom is my mother, Jennifer Altschuler. He has been settled here in Durham for 14 years with his wife Maria and his dog Onnie Bell.