New Goals for the New Year

New Goals for the New Year

As the new year approaches, we look back on the year, reminisce, and consider how we could improve ourselves and our lives. We may want to truly improve our ways of being but tend to become carried away with setting unreasonable goals or become stumped on how to actually follow through with them. Everyone has the desire to cleanse himself by creating a new start along with the new year, but how do we actually succeed in reinventing ourselves?

The first step to success is to plan out and think about the future. In order to get a head start, when you catch a break from busy holiday shopping, sit down with a cup of tea on your lap, with a PEN and a notebook. Your writing utensil must and most importantly be a pen rather than pencil because this way, you won’t be tempted to erase a resolution or change it to make it too easy for yourself. Using a pen will force you to fully think your goals through so that you don’t end up completely scratching ideas. Think about what is really important to you that you want  to accomplish in the year to come.

While writing a list of goals, split the list into two separate sections: short-term goals and long-term goals. Instead of just jotting down the main idea of a goal, list bullet points underneath it containing the elaborate steps you can take in order to work towards the goal. Make sure to not write down three pages of resolutions. You are much more likely to balance and complete goals if you keep them to a minimum; quality over quantity. Lastly, at the end of your list of ways to make yourself a better you, write down five things for which you are already proud of yourself for or things that you admire about yourself. Because you are writing all of these ways to improve yourself, it is crucial to remember and recognize all of the admirable characteristics that you already have. This list is meant to be something that will positively affect you, not negatively. Always keep in mind that every person has flaws and things that they can better about themselves and that nobody is perfect. After you are done writing your list, make sure to hang it somewhere that you will always see. You can even tape the list to your mirror to emphasis the idea that you will see yourself as you aspire to be in your reflection if you complete your goals.

The second half of New Year’s Resolutions is acting on them. It’s easy to start these resolutions with a kick of fresh motivation, but it is much more difficult to actually follow through with them. You may find yourself overwhelmed with a list of objectives, which is why you should focus on completing one task at a time. Remember, it takes 21 days to form or break a habit! With taking one goal at a time, allow yourself a break after each goal completed and reward yourself. If you attempt to finish all of your goals nonstop then you will drain yourself of desire and incentive. Try to give yourself at least a week between each finalization of a resolution. Don’t expect to finish all of these goals in just a couple of months; it takes time. You have a whole 365 days to make these resolutions happen, so there is no point in rushing.

Another way of forming a good habit is to convince one of your friends or family members to work at a goal along with you! You can inspire someone who you care about and work together to obtain a goal, such as going to the gym together or helping each other not curse. If you have a partner, you will have another source of motivation and encouragement.

As time passes, you may push your resolutions to the side and ignore them. In these times of coming close to giving up, remind yourself why you started in the first place and how important they once were to you in order to pick yourself up again.

New Year’s Resolutions may be hard to create and stick to, but they are as possible as you make them for yourself. You can’t expect yourself to achieve a yearly goal without a game plan, organization, and determination. So, up and at ‘em; you can do it!