CRHS Language Honor Societies

CRHS+Language+Honor+Societies+

Every year at Coginchaug the French, Spanish, and Latin departments select students who apply to be a member of a honor society. On October 23, at 7:00 pm, there were 22 inductees and 26 members at the French Honor Society induction. This year the number of inductees was unusually high, as the normal range of inductees is 10-15 students.

A student must be in at least French 3 to apply to be a member. If a student wants to be a member in French 3 then they had to obtain at least a 93% grade point average in French 2. The required grade percent changes as a student progresses through the levels of French. For example, French 4 students had to hold a 90% average throughout French 3. The last requirement to be selected as a member is the student must not get belong a B- average in any other class.

Members have demonstrated high academic requirements to be a part of this club containing community service requirements. The main community service act of the society is to help an orphanage in Haiti through HELO. “Being a member shows a high level of volunteerism,” said French teacher Madame Donna Cashore. Madame Cashore.

To become a part of Spanish Honor Society at the end of Spanish 2, one must have an A average in Spanish and a GPA of a B. If one wishes to become a member in Spanish 3 or 4 the minimum Spanish average required lowers to an A-. Once a member, students must hold good academic and behavioral standings.

SHS members volunteer their time for tutoring spanish students who need help. Throughout the year there are mandatory and optional activities such as the mandatory participation in the Fajita Fiesta and the Santa Project. Through the Santa Project, members choose a child from the health center in Middletown to purchase a special gift for. Many opportunities are provided when a member of SHS such as earning community service hours, and tutoring 5th grade students at Memorial Middle School. There were a total of 26 inductees and 20 already existing members in the Spanish Honor Society this year, which is the average amount.

The purpose of the induction taking place is because it is a requirement of the American Association Teachers of French and Spanish to provide an official public acknowledgement to students becoming a French or Spanish National Honor Society member.

Latin also has a group which is open to all Latin members who want to get more involved in the language called the Junior Classical League. JCL organizes Latin related events over the school year. To become a part of the Latin Honor Society you must hold a 93% average (or better) in your current Latin level. Another requirement to be in this advanced group, a student must’ve participated in at least three JCL activities within a year. The Latin Honor Society inducts new members at a banquet in June.