Most Anticipated Movies of 2015

Most Anticipated Movies of 2015

After the Marvel action flick, Guardians of Galaxy, that hit the No. 1 spot four weekends following its release, and the first part of the third release in The Hunger Games trilogy that dominated the box office in 2014, what movie will break records at the box office in the new year?

The Avengers: Age of Ultron concept art poster

A sequel to Marvel’s The Avengers, the highest grossing opening weekend at the box office in 2014, The Avengers: Age of Ultron is set to release May 1st.  Its jaw-dropping trailer of action-packed carnage was nominated for Best Motion/Title Graphics this past year for the annual Golden Trailer Awards.  Will this big budget film live up to the hype and rise above the other releases this summer season at the box office?

After J.J. Abrams was announced as the official director of the Star Wars Episode VII in Jan. 2013, many fans became skeptical about what Abrams will do to resurrect the series after the disappointing sequels released a decade ago.  After the first teaser trailer released in November of last year, dedicated fans are still on the fence about Abrams’s rendition of the long awaited sequel.  Star Wars Episode VII is set to be released on December 18th.

Following last year’s teen action film, Divergent, opening to mediocre reviews, Insurgent, the next in the book series written by Veronica Roth, is to be released March 20.  After thoroughly enjoying Divergent myself, hopefully more than just the fans of the book series will enjoy this Spring release.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire official poster

Arguably Jennifer Lawrence’s breakout role as a film actress, Katniss Everdeen makes her last theatrical appearance in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, the final film adaption to the trilogy written by Suzanne Collins.  Due to the series’ enormous fan base, it wouldn’t be surprising if this was the film that will set records at the box office this year.

The seventh installment of the Fast & Furious film series, Furious 7 chronologically takes place after the events in the past movie.  After the death of Paul Walker late 2013, Walker’s character is to be retired in the films instead of being killed.  As a fan of this ongoing series, I personally wouldn’t be disappointed if it’s filled with the same dramatic and heart-racing car chases that are a staple in the series.

Fourteen years after its last theatrical release, Jurassic World will be the fourth installment of the Jurassic Park film series.  Steven Spielberg takes the spot of the executive producer as he did for Jurassic Park III and passes the torch to Colin Trevorrow who directed the 2012 film Safety Not Guaranteed.

With many fairy tale inspired films released last year, such as Maleficent and Into the WoodsCinderella hopes to bring light to the classic fairy tale and fill the gap from the last theatrical release of Cinderella in fifteen years.  Cinderella is directed by Kenneth Branagh, who directed and starred in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit last year.

For the hopeless romantics, Nicholas Sparks’s The Longest Ride stars Clint Eastwood’s son, Scott, as the main love interest to Sophia Danko, played by Britt Robertson.  The Longest Ride hits theaters April 10.

This year is the year for sequels, which is notoriously dangerous territory for film studios due to their poor reputation in the past for doing brilliant in the box office but falling to mediocre reviews.  With tons of action movies packing the theaters in 2015, sit back and prepare for carnage and an abundance of heroic characters.