The Military Honor

The Military Honor

Mr. Michael Berry, currently a resident of Wallingford, Connecticut, enlisted in the Marines in Feb. of 1954 at the age of seventeen. The oldest of two brothers, he felt the pressure to enlist after seeing both of his uncles, Bob and Richie, serve long careers in the military. He was first sent to South Carolina for his three-month basic training. “It was a long three months,” Berry said. Due to his excellence in basic training, he earned the sharpshooter award for his gunman skills using an M1 rifle. During his time of service, he predominantly traveled to places that were on the east coast, such as Washington, DC, many parts of South Carolina, and Jacksonville, Florida. After his three months of basic training, he started mechanic school and airplane mechanics courses. Eight months into his service, Berry was honorably discharged due to medical problems. Berry was not involved in any combat zones while enlisted.

Berry wasn’t allowed much contact with his family and friends during this time. The only phone call he received was from his father telling him that his grandfather had passed away. He wrote letters to his family back at home, but it took a long time to get them back and forth.

He explained that coming home was somewhat of an adjustment because it was tough finding another job. Also, he said that being in the military kept him constantly busy, and coming home was unusual because he had a lot of time for himself. Berry explained that being in the military changed many things in his life; he became a stronger man because of everything he had endured. “It
opened my eyes and showed me how hard you need to work in order to get what you want,” Berry said. Mr. Berry currently lives in Wallingford with his wife. He is retired and has three children and many grandchildren.