Cross Country Starts Season Strong

By Paige Copeland and Jack Murphy

Photo by Jen Schulten

As the cross country season began on Friday, Sept. 9, the boys and girls came out strong. The first meet of the season was the Middletown Blue Dragon Invitational.  

According to senior captain Matt Woznyk, “The season’s been pretty good so far. We had the Blue Dragons, and the boys and girls team got first place combined.”

We did lots of summer training to prepare for this season, and it is showing off,” senior Flynn Molkenthin said. “We have very strong freshman and sophomore runners this year.”

It was a long race for both the girls and boys varsity and jv teams, but at the end, it came together. Sophomore Peter Schulten was the top boy finisher, and junior Sean McMaster came in third to help the team pull off the win. As for the girls, senior Allie Alsup finished second, only seconds behind the leader, and junior Ashley Dana came in fourth to help the team in a big way.

On Tuesday, Sept. 13 the boys and girls had another meet–one of the toughest courses around–the Portland Invitational. For this meet, both teams performed well. The boys team came in first overall. McMaster came in second overall while Schulten came in fourth.  As for the girls, Alsup came in second overall and Dana came in third. With the help of these two runners and the rest of the team, the girls grabbed second place overall.