Football: Week 2 Outlook

By Rick Sorensen and Taylon Fay

Photos by Jose Cadena

Coming off a tough loss against the Cromwell-Portland Panthers last Friday, the Blue Devils football team has regrouped and is rolling into week two.

Following the devastating week one defeat, head coach Steve Croce has rearranged and remastered the offensive scheme, moving junior Ryan Cross to quarterback. “I was shocked and excited at the same time,” Cross said when asked how the transition was going, “coach’s extensive knowledge of the quarterback position made the move in position much easier.”

Cross has proved to be the Devil’s best pocket passer, and has adhered to Croce’s complex offense in a very short amount of time. Look for Cross to man the helm on the offensive side of the ball, while senior captain Josh Genest will lead the Blue Devils defense.

Coming off a torn meniscus, senior running back Taylon Fay has returned to the field this week.  Cleared for two weeks of no-contact practice, Fay is rehabilitating and is expected to return for the week four matchup against rival H-K.

Look for the Blue Devil cheerleaders, led by senior captains Marissa Bizzario, Lauren Donnelly, and Katrina Anderson to support the boys in blue against the Nonnewaug Chiefs for the Devils home opener this Saturday at 1:00 p.m.