Boys Basketball Pink Out

On Tuesday, Feb. 14, the boys basketball team hosted their annual “Pink Out” night against North Branford to help support the fight against breast cancer. Through raffles, donations, and a half-court contest, the boys and girls teams combined for over $1,000 in donations for fighting breast cancer. The night started out with the gymnasium celebrating all those who survived cancer of any kind and emphasized its plan to help those still afflicted to keep fighting.

The Devils and the ThunderBirds both got off to a very slow start, neither side able to build momentum in the first quarter. After one quarter, the boys were trailing 3-0; however, thanks to an extra effort by Jameson and J. Murphy, the team went on an 8-0 run and eventually finished the half leading 13-8.

The stalemate continued into the second half as neither team was able to get a sizeable lead over the other. Nearing the three-minute mark, North Branford hit a clutch three-pointer to go up by one point over the Devils; however, the Devils quickly flipped the script and went up one over the T-Birds. A crucial rebound allowed the boys to hold onto the ball and the win, as they finished 34-27 over North Branford in a critical Shoreline Conference game.

With this win, the boys extended their win streak to two, as they hold onto fourth place in Shorelines. The boys final four games are very important to the team’s placement in the Shoreline and state tournaments. Although they have qualified for both, it is important to keep winning to grab onto the home court advantage and build momentum for the post-season.