Matthew Thompson: Every Athlete Counts

Having played soccer since the age of three, the new CRHS varsity soccer coach Mr. Matthew Thompson brings years of experience to the table. He is excited to coach the team he was once a part of during his time at Coginchaug.

After graduating, Thompson continued to play all four years at Anna Maria College. Having coached ever since, in one form or another, he feels ready to lead this talented team next season. He started coaching while still in college, helping the Coginchaug team prepare during the summer league in preparation for the fall season. He continued coaching after graduating and took his teaching job at CRHS in the hope of eventually becoming the head soccer coach.  

Personally, I can attest to Mr. Thompson’s dedication to the athletes of the team. Throughout all four years, he has been a mentor to me, helping me improve during the offseason, hosting pick up games for the team and others in town.

Over the years, he has coached many players coming through the school. Some of his best memories are of helping players on specific skills and having them use those skills in a game. One of his first years, he remembers helping a player work on shooting every day after practice, and in the state tournament, he scored an important goal to help the team win.

“I have memories of players where I’ve worked with them one-on-one on something, and they go out in the game and do it,” Mr. Thompson said, reminiscing of past seasons he has coached.

What he enjoys most about the game itself is the mental ability that goes into each game. The fluid nature of the sport, with the scarcity of stoppages means that most decisions have to be made by players on the fly. Although the coach is important to help develop an overall game plan, they are not the ones calling shots in the game; each player has to be ready to make decisions at all times.

“It’s a contest that tests your mental acumen because you have to be creative, and you also have to adapt to things instantly on your own,” says Mr. Thompson.

He enjoys the coaching challenge of fitting together the puzzle pieces of the players into the best formation and best tactics. Despite the players being on the field, making the decisions, how the coach sets the team up and helps them prepare can definitely influence the team’s chances. The coach can put them into the best position to win, although the team puts in the work. The strategy, bringing depth to the game, along with helping players improve, is what motivates Mr. Thompson to continue coaching.