Alsup, Decker: CRHS to NCAA

Coginchaug athletes Alexandra Alsup and Megan Decker signed their letters of intent to the University of Connecticut and Southern New Hampshire University on Tuesday, Nov. 15 in the CRHS library reference room.

Alsup heads to the University of Connecticut next fall to run for cross country and track and field. In cross country, Alsup has competed for three years, earning Second Team All-Conference as a sophomore, First Team as a junior and senior and All-State as a junior. Alsup was a member of the 2014 Shoreline Conference and Class SS State champion teams and was nominated to the New Haven Register All-Area Cross Country Team in her junior and senior years.

Competing in 10 different running and relay events over a four-year career (300M, 600M, 800M, 1000M, 1600M, 4x400M, 4x800M, SMR and DMR), Alsup earned First Team All-Conference and All-State honors her sophomore and junior years. As a sophomore, she was named All New-England; as a junior, she was a member of the All-American Distance Medley Relay Team and was nominated to the New Haven Register All-Area Team. In her sophomore and junior years, Alsup was named to the All-Hartford Courant Team.

On a bigger stage her junior year, Alsup earned fourth place at the Millrose Games in the 4x800M relay and won the 800M at the Hispanic Games.

In outdoor track and field, Alsup competed in seven events and relays (400M, 800M, 1600M, 4x400M, 4x800M, SMR and DMR) over her four-year career. Alsup was named to First Team All-Conference and All-State her freshman, sophomore and junior years and All-New England her sophomore year. Alsup won back-to-back State Championships in the 800M her sophomore and junior years.

Decker will compete for SNHU’s track and field team after her four-year Coginchaug career in both indoor and outdoor track and field as well as soccer. In her role as captain this year, Decker hopes to lead the 2015 and 2016 Shoreline Champions to another title. In addition to being named All-Shoreline her sophomore and junior years, she was part of the All-American Distance Medley Relay team last season. According to the Coginchaug Athletic Department, Decker holds four CRHS indoor track records in the 55M and 300M dashes, the 4x200M relay (anchoring since her freshman year) and the distance medley relay, breaking the record at last year’s nationals.

Decker earned All-Shoreline honors in outdoor track her freshman, sophomore and junior years and holds six records in both individual and team events: 100M dash, 200M dash, 4x100M relay, 4x400M relay, sprint medley relay and 4×200 relay.

In the fall, Decker trades her spikes for cleats as she takes the soccer field. A four-year starter, she was brought up to varsity halfway through her freshman season.