XC Captains Set High Expectations

Boys and girls cross country captains Danny Turecek and Ashley Dana have already started their last year at Coginchaug with high expectations: “We plan to bring home some first place trophies at meets, and at the end of the season, we want to be able to give our very best efforts,” said Turecek.

Dana describes her and the girls’ excitement to see what they can achieve as the season goes on. Turecek and Dana describe their rivals, H-K and Old Saybrook, and how they plan to prepare for meets with them.

“We always put in extra every practice and get that last bit of training in. We try and squeeze out that last drop of motivation that’s in us,” says Turecek. Dana added, “We work as hard as we can in practice and meets and make it a point to try and stay with them, passing as many people as we can so we can do our best.”

While the captains say it’s difficult to tell who the lead runners are after one meet, according to Turecek, “[Senior] Sean McMaster, our number-one runner, is the leader of the pack right now. As the season continues, there will be many runners that will emerge from the pack.”

Both boys and girls cross country placed fifth at their first Blue Dragon Invitational meet on September 8.

Turecek and Dana describe the importance of positivity and giving their best effort of encouragement to all of their teammates. Dana said, “I’m excited to be captain of cross country because I’ve always loved it and am proud to lead the team doing something I love so much.”