Two Undefeated Shoreline Teams Clash

The undefeated Blue Devils softball team faced the undefeated North Branford team on Tuesday, April 24 at 3:45 p.m. at Coginchaug Regional High School. Heading into the game, the teams were the best two in the Shoreline and also one of the best in the state for each of their respective divisions.

Carly Lane, senior co-captain, started pitching the game for the Blue Devils and got into early trouble during the first inning. She loads the base with a walk and gave up a hit to right that scored one, but they got the ball in on time and got the runner out at the plate.

After struggling to get hits the first inning against North Branford pitcher Sydney Senerchia, the Devils came back in the second inning with Carly Lane getting a base hit to lead off the inning. Then, sophomore Carina Mancini successfully bunted to put runners on first and second; however, after that they left the runners stranded and ended the inning with no runs scored.

The third inning was a standstill with no runs or hits for both teams; however, North Branford came back in the fourth with a solo home run from Amy Raucci to make the score 2-0. This was the last offense for a while until the bottom of the seventh, where Coginchaug had their last chance to score. Carina Mancini started it off with a one-out double, and then, freshman Amalia DeMartino walked…but this was not enough for the Devils, as they did not score and lost the game 2-0.

Carly Lane played a great game, pitching a complete game with six strikeouts and giving up five hits with two earned runs. She also had a hit on offense. They did a great job limiting the North Branford offense to their least amount of runs scored all season.

Their games for the rest of the week are Thursday at Valley Regional and Friday home versus Westbrook.