Hot Coginchaug Offense Smokes Cromwell

The Coginchaug baseball team rolled over Cromwell, the defending Shoreline champs, 8-1 on Wednesday. Senior John-John Jose took the hill for the Devils, pitching six innings with six strikeouts and giving up only three hits and no earned runs.

After an early run in the first inning with a double from senior Luke Garofalo and RBI single from junior Connor Rulnick, the Devils were stuck at a 1-1 standstill for the first four innings–that was until they came up in the top of the fifth with sophomore Devin Geoghegan, who led off the inning with a double, setting up the top of the order. After leadoff hitter senior Cal Pitruzzello got hit by a pitch, Garofalo hit a hard ground ball that got stopped by the shortstop, but no play was made. The bases were loaded, and senior MacGuire O’Sullivan hit a ground rule double that plated two. Jose came up next and hit another bomb double that scored another two runs.

Garofalo closed out the seventh inning with dominant pitching to end the game. He went 4 for 4 at the plate with 3 doubles and 2 RBI. Geoghegan had 2 doubles as well.

The Devils play the tough H-K on Friday at their place, who is 13-0 and is at the top of the Shoreline and the Class M state rankings. Game time is 3:45 p.m. for those who look to support the Coginchaug boys on their five-game win streak.