Girls XC Captain Has High Hopes For This Season

Girls cross country captain Julia Kaliszewski has high expectations for this season, despite losing their top two runners from last season.

The girls placed eighth out of 16 teams at the Blue Dragon Invitational in Middletown on September 7.

Julia Kaliszewski and Emma Bournival

“I think it was good considering it was our first meet of the season, and the first high school race for two of our varsity runners,” Kaliszewski said. “The race was a positive start to the season, and I have high hopes for all the team will accomplish this year.”

Their varsity line up consists of seniors Emma Bournival, Anna Rose DiPentima, Kaliszewski and Kelsey O’Sullivan, alongside sophomore Talia Caramanello and freshman Rachel Sorensen. The seventh spot will be switched between senior Margaret Fiondella and junior Carolyn Cumello, with Fiondella racing at the Invitational.

“Emma is definitely our top runner, usually coming in about two minutes ahead of the next Coginchaug runner,” said Kaliszewski. “The rest of the varsity squad usually comes in pretty close to one another, all six of us within one or two minutes of each other.”

Cross country coach and chemistry teacher Mrs. Lavinia Vigue believes the team needs to work on “being competitive and pushing themselves harder than they think they can handle.”

Photo by Jennifer Schulten

“In my opinion, the most important thing to focus on this season will be working together to try to get our varsity pack as high up in the numbers as possible,” Kaliszewski said.

Kaliszewski hopes to come as close to last year’s results as possible, placing sixth at the Shoreline championship and sixth at States. She also hopes to “stay in the top half of teams.”

“To me, being a captain means being a role model to every girl on the team,” Kaliszewski said. “I am incredibly honored that I was voted captain this year and have my done my best to be a positive, helpful and welcoming person for the team.”

This season’s schedule:

9/7 Blue Dragon Invitational @ Middletown

9/15 CT River XC Championship @ Cromwell

9/20 Going to the Sun Meet @ Home

9/25 Shoreline Conference Meet #1 @ Indian River Complex

9/27 Husky Invite @ Indian River Complex

10/3 Nuebauer Invite @ Sheehan

10/6 Wickham Invitational @ Wickham Park

10/11 Shoreline Conference  Meet #2 @ Hale Ray HS

10/19 Shoreline Championship, @ Hale Ray HS

10/24 Old Saybrook JV Invite @ Old Saybrook HS

10/27 Class SS State Meet @ Wickham Park

10/29 Freshman Championship @ Valley Reg

11/2 State Open @ Wickham Park