Girls Basketball Starts the Season off Strong

The Coginchaug girls basketball team has started the season strong but believe they have the potential to repeat another state championship run. The girls are off to 6-2 record with some very impressive wins.

“We have a lot to improve from where we are right now in the season,” said senior guard Jessi King. “The two losses that we suffered definitely will motivate us later in the season and make all are players work harder every day.”

The Lady Devils are currently playing without two of their starting five because of injuries that occurred in the first game. Raegan Moore suffered a season-ending knee injury, and Michaela Grenier has a stress fracture in her foot but should be back next week, cleared to play. The injuries have allowed other players to start to show their potential.

With the two girls out, senior Lindsey Marino and junior Molly Shields have stepped into the starting roles. The girls have played well and have helped the team to the record they have know.

When asked about the new role, Marino said, “It has allowed me to give the team an energy boost and pick up the energy on the court.”

Over winter break, the girls played in the North Haven Holiday Tournament where they went 2-0 and won the championship. The final game was a back and forth battle against North Haven that had the girls in their first overtime game of the year. It came down to the last possession, and the girls got a key defensive stop to win the game 51-49. After the game, Jessi King and Kerry Turecek were named to the all-tournament team.

The girls look to continue the season strong and make sure that the only part of their record changing is the win column. Their next game is home against a very good East Hampton team that split the series last year.

“We have to play our best game against them, or it will be a nail-biter the whole time. East Hampton is one of the best teams in the Shoreline Conference, and this will be a test of how good our team truly is,” Marino emphasized.

*Post-publication, the girls lost to East Hampton in a close game on Jan. 4 at home.