Participating at Arlington Cemetery

Story by Shannon Carey

Steller by Megan Lower

On Friday, Nov. 16, four seniors were able to participate in a wreath ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on the annual senior trip to Washington, DC. This unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was granted to four seniors who wrote essays on why they would like to participate. Darin Bullock, Jenny Chadd, Willow Smalls, and I were the seniors who were chosen.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier symbolizes those who fought in defense for America’s integrity, honor, and freedoms: “those who gave their lives in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War,” according to Military.com. It recognizes those who were not identifiable. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier also honors all those who served or are serving. This monument is very touching to many and very patriotic; it puts in perspective what it means to be American and the honor that we hold.

The four seniors, escorted by Mr. Craig Bradanini, left the hotel earlier than their classmates, taking the subway to arrive at Arlington National Cemetery. From there, they waited for the gates to open. The group was able to take some time to observe the cemeteries, and Bullock got to visit a family friend who is buried at the cemetery.

Each senior had their select reasons as to why they wanted to participate. Darin is heading into the Marines, Jenny’s father is a veteran, Willow looks to go into law enforcement, and I look to go into the Air Force National Guard.

The senior class got to watch the changing of the guards and the wreath ceremony. Then, they explored the Arlington Cemetery.