The Durham Public Library: An Underused Resource

Need community service hours? Looking for something to do after school? The Durham Public Library may be the place for you. 

Just a fifteen minute walk from Coginchaug, the Durham Public Library is an underused resource for students. For those in need of community service hours, they provide many opportunities both during and outside of the school year. In ‘Bring Your Own Book Club’ teens have a chance to chill and read their book of choice for forty minutes before discussing what they read with other participants. This is a really useful way for the librarians to figure out what books they should add to the library’s shelves, hence the community service aspect. The Teen Advisory Board is a chance for teens to share their thoughts on the library and how it could be improved, as well as a space to develop leadership skills. Both of these activities take place once a month after school. Over the summer, there are many opportunities to help out with the library’s summer reading program. Volunteers are able to do everything from running the summer reading desk to helping out with programs for kids. 

The library also has many programs that cater more towards those looking to learn new skills. Currently, the library offers a monthly ‘Teen Test Kitchen,’ where teens learn how to cook various recipes, and ‘Teen Art Kits,’ a craft kit teens can pick up and complete at home.  

Finally, the library is a great place to study and do homework. The teen area of the library was recently renovated to include big tables with comfortable chairs as well as some couches with flip up desks so that everyone can work in the way that’s most comfortable for them. 

Overall, the Durham Public is a fantastic resource that students can and should take advantage of. More information about the different programs and services the library offers can be found here: https://durhamlibrary.org/teens/programs/.