OPINION: Power of Unified Sports

Here at Coginchaug, we have an amazing opportunity to offer a class called Unified Sports. This is a year-long course in which students are able to be the true version of themselves through sports without having to worry about being judged by others. Teachers and students gather together to create a safe, fun, and active environment without judgement. 

As soon as you enter the doors of the gym, the environment changes. Every student has a smile on their face and an energetic, positive attitude. 

According to Sophomore Katerina DiNallo, ̈all the [RSD 13] core ethical values are applied.¨ 

Throughout the school day, not many students represent their core values, but in Unified Sports, that is the main priority. Every student treats one another with respect, they care for one another, they act responsibly, and so much more. Being surrounded by nothing but encouragement truly boosts every student’s confidence. 

Along with having amazing students in the class, there are also teachers who transform into amazing coaches. 

Mr. Bajoros, head coach of Unified Sports, loves what he does because ¨it gives kids the opportunity to be awesome people.¨ 

Having a teacher who cares about his students so much and gives such positive vibes really lightens everyone’s mood. A teacher who is so encouraging to their students allows them to be more comfortable in class and gives them someone to go to when in need. 

Not only is this class about helping others but also being active. Sophomore Alex Paulson, who is also part of Unified Sports, loves being in the class because  ̈it gives your body a full workout.̈ 

This gives students who dislike sitting in the traditional classroom the opportunity to get up and move around to get some energy out. Kids do not have to worry about having homework every night, studying for tests, or being judged on their abilities. They just have to show up with a positive attitude and have fun. 

Coginchaug is extremely lucky to have this program, as some schools do not. 

Displaying all the core ethical values, helping others without judgement, and having fun playing a multitude of sports, is what this class is all about. Students of Unified Sports should feel honored to be a part of something so amazing and pure.