Student Opinions on Gun Violence

Getty Images

UVALDE, TX – MAY 24: Law enforcement work the scene after a mass shooting at Robb Elementary School where 19 people, including 18 children, were killed on May 24, 2022 in Uvalde, Texas. The suspected gunman, identified as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, was reportedly killed by law enforcement. (Photo by Jordan Vonderhaar/Getty Images)

On Tuesday May 24th, nineteen children and two teachers were killed in a shooting in Uvalde, Texas at Robb Elementary School, which has been the deadliest school shooting since Sandy Hook (2012). When a school shootings occur, the entire country mourns with the families and members of their communities.  Many students shared their opinions about gun violence and school shootings as a result of this tragedy. 

Sophomore Taylor Connell said, “I feel like talking about it makes it more real.” She also said, “individuals in power need to take actions,” highlighting how students don’t have much control over the issue and how, “There is something to say that we are the only country where this is a major problem.” Further, “I think it’s really messed up because I shouldn’t be scared and my parents shouldn’t be scared for me to go to school.”

Hannah Wright (Junior) said, “it could happen any day, at any time” but, “I feel safer knowing that a random person can’t really walk into our school. 

An anonymous source said, “ “Given the amount of school shootings you’d think that by now that some sort of law or regulation would be put in place but no graduating senior should ever have to feel thankful that there is no longer a risk of them experiencing a school shooting”

Sophomore John Coady, shared a similar sentiment with a lot of students in saying, “Personally I feel almost desensitized, not to the point where I can’t feel remorse…but that fact that it isn’t really hitting for me.”

Sophomore Paige Jackson said, “I feel like it’s scary, especially for students, to talk about because it could happen anywhere…We have to talk about it because the more safe we are going to be and prepared. I feel like we need to talk about the kids…and amplify their lives,” and “the best thing we can do because we haven’t experienced a mass shooting is have mercy because you don’t know the full effect on the parents.”

Another anonymous source said, “It disturbed me greatly and I’m sure it did the same for others.” When talking about our school she said, “the school does give decent security and lockdown drills but I feel like there’s always room for improvements for these types of things.” They also said, “Having to worry about gun violence occurring at school should never even be a thought but I’m sure it’s in the back of people’s heads.”

Junior Ryan Wirger said, “It feels like every time one of these things happen, we all vow to change and do better but we’ve never seen real results. Especially from politicians and the people who are supposed to be looking after us, they always promise us they’ll do better and it never happens.” He finished with, “Our lives and safety is truly turning into a politicized battle where it feels like they don’t care about us.” 

English teacher Lisa Mishriky said,  “The loss of control or helpless feeling is maybe one of the reasons why some people tune it out…because it’s very overwhelming to feel like this is a problem that you have no control over.”

Social Studies teacher Julie Lagace said, “I’m a news junky…but I haven’t been able to listen or watch anything…but it’s overwhelming as a teacher and as a parent.”