CRHS Cheerleading Team Places Higher than ever Before

File_000 (2)

The Coginchaug cheerleading team placed the highest the cheer team has ever placed in the CIAC Class S State Cheerleading Championship. It took place on on Friday, March 3, and they placed sixth. They also received an invitation to the state open competition with the top 6 teams from each class. Senior captain Marissa Bizzario said, “This season was one of the most memorable.  I am extremely proud of the team as a whole. Although we had some setbacks, we were always able to overcome them and suFile_000 (1)cceed.”

The New England Cheerleading Association (NECA) Open Cheer and Dance Championship was on Saturday Feb. 25 and they placed second over last year’s third place. The Top Gun group with members Bizzario, seniors Katrina Anderson and Lauren Donnelly, junior Amanda Potvin and freshman Gabrielle Caporossi, placed first at the Wolcott Cheer Classic and placed second at NECA.  

File_002

Four cheerleaders were nominated to represent the team for the Shoreline Conference. In order to apply, the cheerleaders chosen had to record an original cheer to the words provided, perform various jumps, execute a dance or tumbling and showcase stunts. The nominees were Bizzario who placed First Team All-Shoreline, and Anderson, Donnelly, and Potvin, placed Second Team All-Shoreline. Although their season is over, the Coginchaug cheerleaders continue to support our boys and girls basketball teams and our unified sports team in their conference and state tournaments.

Watch the video from the 2017 State Competition below: