With High Hopes for the Season, Coginchaug Softball off to a 5-3 Start

Coming off a successful season last year, Coginchaug softball is again looking to make noise in the Shoreline and state tournaments. Although they had a very solid season last year, it is known within the town and Shoreline that this could be the year Coginchaug adds to their 12 state titles.

“One of our big goals is to beat Valley the second time around,” said senior captain Bailey Zettergren. “We need to go into that game confident but not cocky… Overall though, our main goal for the season is to win the conference and compete for a state title.”

Coginchaug is 5-3 this season; however, their only losses besides Valley have been to  Class L powerhouse North Haven and Berlin who is Class M. It is important to note Coginchaug took North Haven into extra innings the first game of the season. North Haven is 8-0 and ranked No. 4 in the state, according to Max Preps.

“That was a great game to start the season off for us because it really showed what our potential is for this season,” said senior captain Alex Grenier. “Knowing we can play extra innings against a Class L school really brought our energy up for the season.”

Not even halfway through the season yet, Coginchaug is looking to catch fire as an easier part of their schedule is on the horizon.

“Right now our main goal is to qualify for the Shoreline and state playoffs,” said Grenier. Coginchaug is ranked fifth in the Shoreline right now; however, they have beaten Hale Ray, Old Lyme, and Haddam-Killingworth who are all very tight in the conference race.

With a young team and a brand new coaching staff, Coginchaug will need to find ways to overcome the lack of experience they face.

“Although we are young, we’ve all played together for a long time and have close relationships. The captains are just trying to keep the energy up and make sure we’re ready to play every game,” said Grenier.

New coach Steve DeMartino inherited a very talented team, but he is a first year coach.

“He has done a good job bringing us together, and we all listen to what he has to say,” said Zettergren. “He really wants us to succeed.”

Despite the young coaching staff and roster, the Coginchaug softball team feels very confident in their ability to contend for a championship. If they continue to grow as a team moving towards the second half of the season, the sky’s the limit.

Coginchaug will play two conference games this week: Wednesday vs. Cromwell and Friday at Westbrook. Monday’s game vs. Portland has been moved due to rain.