CRHS Students Celebrate Nat’l French Week

Press Release from CRHS French teacher Madame Cashore

Excitement for studying French and engaging with French-speaking cultures continues to spark among high schoolers in Connecticut! Fifty students from Madame Cashore and Mme Taweh’s CRHS French classes celebrated National French Week, which occurred Nov. 5-11, by attending a performance of Molière Than Thou at Pomperaug High School in Southington on Nov. 13, 2014.

National French Week, sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF), takes place each year in Nov. Across the US, over 10,000 French teachers and their students celebrate the contributions of the French and French-speaking world to literature, art, music, civilization, science, fashion, and many other areas. For the past 15 years, AATF-Connecticut has arranged concerts for CT students highlighting musicians, actors, and other performers from many parts of the Francophone world including Canada, Haiti and Africa.

This year, the CT chapter of the AATF sponsored a theatrical performance that drew over 700 French students from all over the state. Molière Than Thou, a one-man show, featured actor and Molière enthusiast Tim Mooney enacting characters of some of the best loved plays of France’s history. Tim Mooney has rewritten 15 of Molière’s plays in their entirety, bringing a dexterity of English speech to these words which were so dazzling in their original French.

In this interactive show, students were transported to the Paris of 1671 to meet Molière, the “French Shakespeare,” and became familiar with his iconic characters and noteworthy scenes. For these hundreds of Connecticut French students, the work of Molière will now resonate with them as they go on to encounter its richness and beauty throughout their lives.

For further information, please contact Donna Cashore at 860-349-7215.