Coginchaug’s Best Shine in Weekend Meets; Rovelli Breaks Record

Coginchaug competed in two meets over two days: the Shoreline Coaches Invitational Jan.12 and the Old Saybrook Qualifier Jan.14. These two meets illustrated both Coginchaug’s star power in senior Hayden Rovelli’s meet-breaking pole vault record of 14 feet but also their weakness in depth.

During the Shoreline Coaches Invitational, Coginchaug placed middle of the road in a highly competitive meet, placing 15th amongst 26 teams. This was a low point in a weekend that also saw them winning the Old Saybrook Qualifier (over 12 other teams) by a half a point.

Coginchaug’s seniors did a majority of the heavy lifting in the their win Monday and were also the few bright spots in the 15th place finish on Saturday.

Rovelli reflected on his team’s performance. “This weekend was a little bit of a rollercoaster… the quick turnaround from Saturday to Monday gave us very little time to fix any problems that we had. But, we did our best to tune ourselves on Sunday and gave the Monday meet our best shot.”

He went on to say, “The seniors did great this weekend. And that’s what we’re proud of, but we’d like to get the underclassmen involved and winning, and that’s our next step to even greater success. But for now, we’ll take a win in the Old Saybrook Qualifier and move on.”

Coginchaug’s next meet is Jan.18 (Haddam Killingworth Invitational).