Coginchaug Cephalopods Prepare for Finals Competition in Mississippi

The CRHS Ocean Bowl team and Coach Lorrie Martin pose for their photo they submitted for the competition brochure. (Left to Right Amelia Bianchi, Ryan Gossart, Garrett Puchalski, Lydia D’Amato, Josh Dalo, Lorrie Martin) Photo Courtesy of Michelle Mandel

The Coginchaug Cephalopods, winners of the Connecticut and Rhode Island Ocean Bowl competition in both February 2014 and 2015, are now preparing for their second trip to the finals competition in Ocean Springs, Mississippi on April 23. On this year’s team are co-captains Amelia Bianchi and Ryan Gossart, and team members Josh Dalo, Garrett Puchalski and Lydia D’Amato, all coached by Lorrie Martin.

This year the Cephalopods blew away the competition in the Quahog Bowl and are eager to do as well as possible at the finals competition. Last year they came in tenth place out of 22 teams in the nation.

Ocean Bowl is a type of quiz bowl centered around information about the ocean, from ocean chemistry to historic ocean-inspired artwork. Each round of the competition contains two six-minute rounds of buzzer questions and two team challenge questions. The finals competition also requires teams to complete a research project and an oral presentation called a Science Expert Briefing (SEB), where each team member pretends to be a stakeholder and speak to Congress. The presentation in the actual competition lasts only four minutes but counts for 25 percent of the first half of the competition.

The Cephalopods worked tirelessly for weeks on this project, but with the SEB finally out of the way, the team can get back to what they love the most: the buzzer questions. With only two practice sessions left before the actual competition, the team seems eager to get as much as they can out of them. The team is hoping to make Mississippi a worthwhile trip.

The CRHS Ocean Bowl team and Coach Lorrie Martin pose for their photo they submitted for the competition brochure. (Left to Right Amelia Bianchi, Ryan Gossart, Garrett Puchalski, Lydia D’Amato, Josh Dalo, Lorrie Martin)  Photo Courtesy of Michelle Mandel
The CRHS Ocean Bowl team and Coach Lorrie Martin pose for their photo they submitted for the competition brochure. Left to Right Amelia Bianchi, Ryan Gossart, Garrett Puchalski, Lydia D’Amato, Josh Dalo, Lorrie Martin. Photo Courtesy of Michelle Mandel