Girls Outdoor Track Places Third in Marty Roberts Invitational, Eighth in Shorelines

On May 5, Coginchaug held the Marty Roberts Invitational consisting of 21 schools across Connecticut from Old Saybrook to Montville.  

The Coginchaug girls put up a fight and battled till the end of the meet. Ashley Dana, Margaret Fiondella, Colleen Coogan and Ella DiBernardo made up the 4×800 meter relay team and came in third for the girls. In varsity shot put, Aubrey Figoras got in the top ten with a distance of 29 feet. As for the other throwing events and jumping events, not many girls placed, but many girls broke personal records, including Carolyn Cumello in pole vault and Jamie Breton in discus. At the end of the meet, the Coginchaug girls came in third place with 73 points, behind Waterford with 99.3 and Old Saybrook with 89. 

The girls competed in the Shoreline track meet on May 23 at Old Saybrook High School.  Ashley Dana came in first in the 800 meter race, Emma Bournival placed tenth in the 1600 meter and Carolyn Cumello placed eighth in the 100 meter hurdles and second in pole vault. The 4×400 meter relay placed fifth, consisting of Ashley Dana, Colleen Coogan, Alison Durand and Lyndsey Taylor.

Though there was a lot of hard work and effort, the girls ended up placing eighth in the Shoreline Conference.