CRHS Softball Falls in First Round of Shorelines; Moves on to States

The CRHS girls softball team hosted the first round of Shorelines on May 25 against the No. 4 team, H-K. Earlier in the season, the girls faced the Cougars and split their games.

Coming into the game, the girls knew that it was going to be close.

“I think my teammates and I came in ready to play,” said junior Alex Grenier. “We knew we had to play hard.”

Neither team was able to get a run on the board until the fourth inning when H-K scored off of a base hit. In the bottom of the fourth, the Devils were able to even out the game at 1-1 when Grenier stole home. The Cougars were able to pull ahead in the sixth and win the game 2-1.

Photo by Ava Dunleavy

With this win, H-K moved onto the semifinals where they fell 12-0 against the Hale Ray Noises.

The Devils began their Class S State Championship run on Tuesday, May 29 against Public Safety at home at 4:00 p.m. After five innings, Coginchaug mercied Public Safety, 17-0.

Freshman Amalia Demartino said, “We have to stay relaxed and keep doing what we’re doing but at the same time work harder than we’ve ever worked before.”

The girls played Wednesday, May 30 at home at 4:00 p.m. against East Granby in the second round. One of the team’s key players Maddie Montz returned this game after tearing her ACL in the fall and helped contribute to the 9-3 win against East Granby.

The quarterfinals will be at Coventry High School at 4:00 p.m.