Items Needed for Veterans Day Community Drive

On Sunday, Nov. 11, Coginchaug DECA will be hosting an item collection drive for active service members who are stationed at various bases around the world. The event will be held at the Strong Middle School parking lot from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and all are welcome to drop off items.

Donations will be boxed into small “care packages” and can range from personal hygiene products to non-perishable food items. Any questions concerning what is acceptable to donate can be directed to Coginchaug DECA via email, [email protected].

In addition to being open to the community, students at the high school will participate in a competition to donate the most items for their homeroom starting the week before Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 5. This is one of the many ways that DECA, an organization at the high school specializing in business and leadership development, hopes to collect as many items as possible. The idea for this event has been carried out by the club’s Community Service Committee chaired by junior officer Kiyah Reynolds. As a part of the organization’s campaign to participate in or host a community service event every month, the committee has found a way to not only involve the whole high school but the surrounding town members as well.

“My vision for the Veterans Day drive is that we, as a community, are able to come together as one and collect as many items as possible to contribute as much as we can,” said Reynolds. She also noted that in order to ensure people get involved, the club has to “help people understand how much donating as little as one item will make a difference in soldiers’ lives.”

Many student representatives of DECA will be encouraging donations in the days leading up to the collection drive, and they hope to see the community participate by stopping at Strong School on Sunday.