Boys Outdoor Track Team Starts Season Off Strong

On Thursday, April 13, the boys outdoor track team competed at the Record Journal Invitational held at Lyman Hall High School in Wallingford.  This meet, unlike others, had both varsity and junior varsity heats, which allows everyone on the team to get a chance to compete.  

At the meet, there were no class S or M schools, so it was a different type of competition for Coginchaug.  They went up against class L and M schools such as Southington, Platt, Cheshire, Maloney, Sheehan and Lyman Hall.  Although they won’t be seeing any of these teams again until state competitions, it was a good way for the boys team to go up against bigger schools and showcase all of the hard work that they put in over the April break.  

“This meet was a good starting point for the boys, and we will keep improving from here on out,” said boys head coach Mike Ford.

Some of the highlights from the varsity boys include Flynn Molkenthin placing third in the 200m dash, Korben Paul placing sixth in the 200m dash, Peter Schulten placing first in the 1600m run, Max Sartor placing second in the 110m hurdles, Reid Rodrigue placing third in high jump, Cooper Berry placing second in pole vault and fifth in triple jump, Justin Gagner placing fifth in shot put, and Joe Venables placing second in javelin.

The highlights from the junior varsity boys include Cameron Nielsen placing first in the 400m dash, Ty Seymour placing second in the 400m dash, Kyle Satagaj placing sixth in the 400m dash, Brendan Dana placing fourth in the 800m run, Owen Gonzales placing third in the 1600m run, Tim Arcari placing third in the 110m hurdles, Ryan Genest placing fifth in discus and second in javelin, and Tanner Jameson placing sixth in discus and placing first in javelin.

Stay tuned for results from the Stafford Rotary Invitational on Friday, April 28.