CRHS Girls Soccer Kicks Off the Season

Photo By Rob Coogan

With a record of 0-3, the CRHS girls soccer team is off to a rough start, but according to senior co-captains Kate Annecchino, Colleen Coogan and Maddie Montz, there is more than enough time to turn it around.

The girls held the first game of the season on Friday, September 9 against Jonathan Law, falling short of a win.

“We didn’t do as well as we had hoped,” said Coogan. “We couldn’t hold the ball in the offensive area, and the defense was too flat.”

The team, trying to improve their record, traveled to Cromwell on September 12 and East Hampton on September 15. Due to lack of possession and not being strong with the ball, the Devils fell short in both games.

Captains (left to right): Kate Annecchino, Colleen Coogan, and Maddie Montz Photo by Izzy Milardo

The girls’ record is salvageable, as they still have plenty of games left in their season to come around. The girls look to bounce back in their next game on Tuesday, September 19, home against Haddam-Killingworth.

Despite some weaknesses, the team has a lot going for them.

“We’re very positive, our motivation is high, and our communication is a lot better than last year,” said Annecchino.

Sophomore Izzy Milardo says she loves the team bonding. She believes that it is a very important aspect of the game because it builds character, friendships and important life skills.

The Blue Devils are very determined and ambitious, with a plan to qualify for the Shoreline tournament and hopefully States. Additionally, the girls hope to beat their rival, Morgan, which they know is possible since they tied with them during preseason. The girls, however, know they have to make a few adjustments because it isn’t going to be easy for them.

The seniors are looking forward to making the most of their last season as Blue Devils. Montz said, “With the help of our coaches and each other, this season can really be successful.”