How to Prepare for Exams: A Coginchaug Guide

Midterms are approaching, and Coginchaug students are preparing to take exams for the first time since January 2020. Many students have asked how to prepare for exams and tests. The current freshman and sophomores have never taken any exams, and juniors have taken midterms, but not finals. Only the seniors have taken a full year of exams, with that being almost three years ago.  Here are some tips we have gathered on how to prepare for them. 

Studying for exams may seem incredibly daunting, but splitting up the work is a key skill. Looking through study guides and unit overviews to begin is a good idea. When looking through the packet, note down concepts you know and don’t know, especially ones you covered earlier in the semester. You then can know what to and what not to study and prioritize studying those things, but make sure to review everything. 

While content is important, how the exam works is almost more important. Every class has a different exam format, even if it’s slightly changed. Most of the time, exams will have a multiple choice section as well as short answer or essay questions. Teachers may post available practice quizzes or let you look at older tests, which can help show how they write questions. If the class has a textbook, looking up the textbook on Quizlet could help with key units which you may have struggled with earlier in the semester and may cause challenges during the exam. 

Technology, albeit being incredibly helpful in studying with available tools such as Quizlet, can distract you from the real task at hand. One Snapchat notification, Instagram post, or email can prove disruptive. Putting away all non-necessary electronic devices or putting them into airplane mode can make sure you can focus on studying. 

When preparing for the exam, you should keep your mind and body healthy as well. Exams are a stressful time of the year, making sure you are physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy can make a huge difference between passing and failing exams. When studying, remind yourself to take breaks throughout the time, even for just a breath of fresh air. If you want a longer one, go out on a run, eat, or just take a nap. 

On the night before an exam, go to sleep early and get a good night’s rest. When waking up, eat a healthy breakfast. Once you get to the exam room, sit down and get focused. Put your mind at ease in regards to everything else, and then get ready to go. After you take the test, reward yourself with something good. You deserve it for the hard work you’ve put in! 

When all is said and done: each exam is five percent of the year grade in your class. While exams can impact grades, your work done throughout the entire year will be demonstrated in your grade.